Series: The Hundred #1
Published by Little Brown Books for Young Readers on September 3, 2013
Source: Barnes and Noble
Rating: 2 stars
The 100 was supposed to be a fantastic, lord-of-the-flies reminiscent, dystopian YA masterpiece.
If that’s what The 100 is, then I’m not sure what I read because it was definitely not fantastic, or lord-of-the-flies-y. It certainly was another overdone dystopian YA novel.
There were two basic parts to this book. 10% of the book was actual actiony, exciting plot, and the other 90% was mushy, cliché, sappy romance. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to puke after reading ridiculous declarations of love between characters I hated.
None of the romance was developed during the book. All of it either existed prior to the plot, or was your typical instalove.
As for the action, The 100 had possibly the least amount of plot of any book I’ve ever read. The entire book takes place within two weeks and most of the book is flashbacks (which I do not consider plot). I wish it had begun about 6 months earlier to eliminate the flashbacks and provide an INTERESTING story line. As it was, the book was about a bunch of teens that got sent off their space ship to Earth so the government could tell if Earth was still toxic. It was a kind of hunger games/wall-e mash up that just didn’t work out.
The plot might have been more successful if the setting had been better explained. The book never gave us any backstory as to why they were on a space ship in the first place, what “Walden” and “Phoenix” which I assume are different cities on the ship actually were, how long had they been in space, etc. The book took off running and never stopped to explain ANYTHING.
I decided to start to show you exactly how idiotic the characters were by paraphrasing this section of the book. Prepare yourself for its atrociousness
Clarke: Oh no, the hospital building is on fire and one of my friends is inside. I have to go save her!
Wells: *grabs Clarke and restrains her* You can’t run in there! The building is about to fall over and finish burning up. Besides, your friend is probably dead already.
Clarke: LET ME GO SAVE MY FRIEND EVEN THOUGH SHE’S ALREADY DEAD!!!
Wells: I WON’T LET YOU DIE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU. I CAME TO EARTH FOR YOU SUGAR MUFFIN!!
Clarke: YOU ARE A EVIL SLIMY MONSTER WELLS!!! YOU KILL EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH!!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE A GREEN THUMB!! IN FACT, YOU HAVE A BROWN THUMB!!
Wells: I just didn’t want you to die. I kind of just saved your life
Clarke: I’M BREAKING UP WITH YOU AGAIN, YOU TROLL.
Clarke. Why. Are. You. So. Stupid.
You refuse to see common sense. Wells was not trying to destroy your life. Wells is trying to save you. Get with it sister
Wells was a bit of a cardboard cutout, but at least he made sense most of the time while Clark spent half the book “tormented” that she still felt things for him after he inadvertently caused her parent’s death. Then, after he saves her life she decides that since he is obviously a troll, she should go off and frolic in the woods with Bellamy (By the way, what kind of a guy name is that? It sounds like a ballerina name), who she just met a week or two ago. They made a semi-love triangle with two characters that I don’t really like. Ewww.
Do I look happy?
Meanwhile, while this exciting plot *insert sarcasm here* is going down on earth, Glass is up in the space ship with her twoo wuv Luke.
Apparently, Luke finding a new girlfriend can’t stop it either.
She obviously didn’t care that as soon as she had dropped him like a hot potato when she was about to be confined, he moved right on to his next twoo wuv. Then once she showed up again and he “understood” why she had been confined (I’m not going to give that spoiler away so that the poor people who actually choose to read this book have something to look forward to) he dumped his other girl and came right back to Glass with his big puppy dog eyes begging for forgiveness. Needless to say, I didn’t like either of them.
All in all, this was a roll your eyes now, rant later kind of book. It wasn’t completely awful and I’m sure at least one person is bound to like it, but personally, I would advise all of you not to be drawn in by the pretty cover and give this one a pass next time you go to the bookstore. ~The Red Queen